An attack on a Shiite mosque in Western Afghan city of Herat on Tuesday, have left about 29 people dead and over 64 wounded
A local Police spokesman, Abdulhai Walizada, said there might be more than one attacker on Tuesday, with witnesses describing a suicide bomber who detonated explosives and another, a gunman, who threw grenades at worshippers.
A worshipper and eyewitness said: “at first two attackers started shooting at people inside the mosque and then they threw grenades over men and women. Many people were killed and wounded in the attack including women.”
Another person, a victim, Abdul Ghani said: “the attackers opened fire on worshippers for at least five minutes, when their bullets finished they started throwing hand grenades and then a powerful explosion occurred I don’t know whether it was a bomb suicide attack.”
The Governor of Herat, Mohammad Asif Rahimi, said at least 29 people were killed and 64 wounded in the incident which came two months after an attack on a 12th century mosque known as the Jama Masjid in Herat, in which seven people died.
More than 1,700 civilians have been killed in attacks in Afghanistan so far this year, hitting confidence in the Western-backed government of President Ashraf Ghani.